Alora

Alora, Malaga
The area was settled since prehistorical times, and was exploit for its commercial position by Tartessos and by the Phoenicians, who most likely built the castle. The Romans, after their conquest of Spain, restored the fortress and had here a municipium known as Iluritanum, as attested by an iscription dating to 79 BC. The fortress was further enlarged by the Visigoths and above all, the Moors, who conquered it early during their conquest of Spain. Alora became a stronghold of the rebellious Umar ibn Hafsun, semi-independent lord of Bobastro in the time of the emirate of Córdoba. The Christians of northern and central Spain attempted numerous times to conquest the town, but were successful only in 1484. Alora enjoyed a period of prosperity during the 16th and 17th centuries, and in 1628 it became autonomous from the commune of Málaga. In the 20th century much of the population emigrated, especially to the United States and, starting from the 1960s, Germany, Australia and Switzerland.

Alora’s castle was first built by the Phoenicians and subsequently expanded under Roman rule.

In the 5th century the castle was virtually destroyed by the Visigoths, only to be rebuilt under the Moors; remnants of this era still remain, namely the decorative steel door and the traditional Arab mirador.

Other sights include:

  • Church and convent of Nuestra Señora de Flores (16th century)
    Iglesia de la Veracruz (16th century)
  • Church of Nuestra Señora de la Encarnación, located on the site of the castle’s mosque. It houses a crucifix by José Navas Parejo.
  • Chapel of St. Brigida (16th century)
  • Chapel of Las Torres (15th century), in late Gothic style